Do you vividly remember the moment when you decided to be a nurse? It happened for Aric Shimek twice. The first time around, life took him in another direction. Then, in 2010, nursing came calling for him again.
Thinking about returning to nursing or switching to another nursing career? Aric has some great advice:
- Trust your gut ... that little voice inside telling you to make the change won't go away.
- Write down your "why" and put it someplace personal but accessible. When things get tough, finding this little reminder will make all the difference.
- Network, network, network! Oh, and don't forget to network!
- In this dynamic profession, always be open to making changes. As you evolve as a nurse, opportunities you never expected will present themselves. Don't be afraid to say YES!
- From the bedside to the boardroom, there is more than one way to be a nurse. Create your own path and mentor those interested in doing the same.
Aric is a member of Sigma’s Psi Lambda Chapter at Resurrection University in Chicago, Illinois, USA and works as a Telehealth Program Manager at a children’s hospital. He also serves as one of Sigma's United Nations Liaisons.